Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

OKay, a bit of a story, I read that using a self cleaning

Customer Question

OKay, a bit of a long story, I read that using a self cleaning oven can create fumes that can kill birds, but how can it effect dogs?. I didnt realize this until after i tried using it and now my dog hasnt been actting right. hes extremely mellow and he is really hard to wake up. he doesnt lift his head when i call him when hes laying down. im really worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

If a dog were to lick or ingest the oven cleaner it could make him very sick, but the fumes from a self cleaning oven will not make a dog sick. So, if there is a problem that is not the cause.

I would try to get him up, take him out to go to the bathroom, and offer him something good to eat. If he is sick, I would be worried that something unrelate to the oven cleaning is going on. If he is so sick that he won't get up or lift his head then he should see a veterinarian tonight. Is it possible that he could have gotten into something else in the house?

Let me know if you have any further questions. If not, please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There's no chance he got into any cleaning supplies. i keep all of those out of reach. the fumes from the oven were definitely giving me a headache, thats why i was concerned for him. i have been able to get him up and outside a few times. he did just wolf down an entire bowl of food too. so maybe it was just coincidence with the oven cleaner situation. he seems to alright after getting out of the house again.. he was only acting that strangely for a few hours I think i'll just watch im for a little while longer before i take him anywhere. Just to be safe, is there anything you thin I should keep an eye out for?

If he ate, that's a good sign. Look at his gums... If they are pale, if he has stumbling or loss of balance or if he become progressively more weak then take him in to a vet. If he's making improvements, then just monitor him.

Best wishes.