Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

If my dog accidentally swallowed my beta carotene vitamin,

Customer Question

If my dog accidentally swallowed my beta carotene vitamin, can it hurt her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

The beta carotene won't cause any problems... just double check the ingredients to make sure there are not any other ingredients. Let me know if there is something else in the supplement and I will double check if for you.

If you have any additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its a 25,000 IU no other ingredients just that. she's acting very lethargic

It's not the beta carotene... there was a study with 300,000 IU per kg and it didn't make them sick so this amount in this size dog isn't going to be a problem. The problem comes if there are other things in the supplement that are not clear on the label. They are not chewable right? Sometimes the chewable have xylitol in them. That can make them sick.....It can drop their blood sugar. If she is very lethargic then it might be worth a trip to the vet to check her bloodwork and blood sugar just to be sure.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Karsen. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy