Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

She's having throat spasms - sort of a gulping - extends her

Customer Question

she's having throat spasms - sort of a gulping - extends her neck and gulps - drank some water but did not help. Stopped for a while, then started again. Almost like hiccups, but not hiccups. I don't think its a reverse sneeze either.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No - 6 months of age - australian shepherd and poodle - very active - does not appear to be in distress
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your quesiton.

That certainly doesn't sound like a reverse sneeze. Is it possible that she could have something stuck in her throat? I have seen that same gulping motion in a dog with a bone suck behind his rear molars.... it was sitting crosswise in such a way that he could still breath and drink, but it was making him feel like there was something in the back of his throat so he kept swallowing.

I would really recommend having him looked at by a veterinarian ASAP. If he continues to do this he could swallow too much air. When their stomach fills with air they can develop a very serious condition called bloat.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It looks just like this video: http://dogguru.net/dog-with-throat-spasms-and-licking-the-gulps/

That kind of movement I would associate with swelling or foreign material in the throat or esophagus. You would need to sedate and scope the area to know more.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy