Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Kara, I am not sure if the message I sent reached you?? I

Customer Question

Good Afternoon Dr. Kara,I am not sure if the message I sent reached you?? I resent a message with the lab results. Please clue me in...Thanks,Susan Stokes
re: Blanca
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the results.

Here's what I see and my comments on the abnormalities.

Elevated ALT & Alk Phos, but neither one horribly so.

ALT is a liver enzyme that truly indicates some sort of insult to the liver. Her value is higher than I can comfortably say not to worry about at all, but livers are very sensitive and respond to any sort of inflammation/irritation in the abdomen. Her AST & GGT are normal, she has normal levels of blood proteins (albumin also called alb and globulins or glb) so this is something that bears watching, but I cannot convince myself she has pri***** *****ver disease.

Alk Phos of 167 is barely above normal. To be considered truly elevated it should be 4-5X the normal level. Older dogs routinely normally have slightly elevated Alk Phos levels. Unless this get much higher I would think this is normal for her.

BUN, or blood urea nitrogen is a kidney enzyme that increase with dehydration, not eating and eating high protein meals. Her creatinine is normal and that is a true "kidney enzyme" not affected much by dehydration or diet. It's likely her kidneys are fine if her urinalysis was normal.

I am concerned about her calcium being elevated mainly because she has had recurrent vestibular disease issues. Elevated calcium can be associated with primary calcium metabolism issues, but also with some types of cancer, namely lymphoma. Elevated blood calcium can cause neurologic symptoms too. However calcium can be affected by blood proteins and fats. I would want to check a test called an ionized calcium. If that too is elevated then that means her calcium truly is high, and we need to look further into why it is elevated.

Her complete blood count looks very normal.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.