Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

She doesn't seem to want to keep her eyes open ... she opens

Customer Question

she doesn't seem to want to keep her eyes open ... she opens them for a moment and then closes them again. She is not rubbing them and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort ... it is almost like the light might be bothering them.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gracie ... she is a long-haired mini dachshund, about 8 years old (not certain as she is a rescue)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?
Customer: She is very healthy otherwise, and was running around and playing just an hour ago!
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your question. I do have a few questions that will give me a better idea of what is going on.

First, did this behavior start suddenly? Was she doing anything in particular before it began? Second, can you tell if the eyelids are swollen or if the eyes themselves are red at all? And third, is she otherwise normal.... meaning is she eating and getting up an moving around with a normal amount of energy?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it seems to have ... we only just noticed it. I don't know of anything unusual she was doing. Her eyelids do not look swollen and her eyes do not seem red. Yes, she is otherwise normal ... we just offered her a dog biscuit and she ran into the kitchen with her eyes wide open. After she ate the biscuit, her eyes started to close again. She is sitting on my husband's lap, quite content, but keeps her eyes closed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just noticed that when she opens her eyes, the pupils seem to be moving outward a bit, and the white on the inside of her eye is greyish.

When dogs want to keep their eyes closed it is almost always related to some kind of pain or irritation in their eyes. Whether they have dry eye (lack of tear production) or got something irritation in their eyes. It can also happen if they get bit or stung by something, but that usually causes swelling of the eyelids also. Some neurologic problems can cause this too, but you would see other symptoms, such as loss of coordination. Some medications, particularly sedatives can do it also, but she doesn't sound sleepy.

If she truly is otherwise normal.. not sleepy or uncoordinated.... then I would suspect that her eyes are painful or irritated on the surface. Eyes are one thing that I prefer never to wait to examine because if there is a problem waiting can make it worse.... slightly irritated or dry eyes can develop ulcers so a small problem become a big problem. I would recommend taking her to a veterinarian if you can to test for dry eye and just evaluate for any abnormalities.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you ... we have already called the emergency vet and are taking her there immediately.

I hope it is something simple! Best wishes.