Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Since yesterday morning my 4 pound yorkie has been

Customer Question

since yesterday morning my 4 pound yorkie has been lethargic, not eating one bite and vomited last night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He is drinking water
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is he?

2- Is he drinking more than usual?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did he get into anything?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is 2 years old, not drinking more than usual, and I think may have gotten into some trash on Friday.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He did have a liver shunt, but had surgery over a year ago and has been fine since

1- Any other symptoms?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No other symptoms. I'm not sure about gums and don't know how to do temp

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, lethargy is a very non-specific symptom and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. The fact that he vomited last night we need to rule out things like: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, pancreatitis, etc. to name a few causes.

Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would recommend you consider having him checked today by ER veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work, supportive care and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If you do not have access to ER veterinarian this is what you can do until he is seen by family vet:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 2-3 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 2-3 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. If possible blend the food and feed him small amount with a dropper.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter