Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is throwing up. it's the second time this week. Gave

Customer Question

my dog is throwing up. it's the second time this week. Gave her chicken and rice last time and then she seemed fine. but she's has thrown up several times today. the last time it was yellow
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Jenny has had two episodes of vomiting this week and now has vomited several times, the last time yellow.

Yellow in the vomit means that the small intestine is refluxing bile into the stomach so that when she vomits you see the yellow color. That isn't normal as bile doesn't belong in the stomach, and it does mean that there is some reverse motility, but it isn't specific for any particular disease process.

In many cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors, esophageal reflux, or a dietary allergy or sensitivity.

More serious causes of vomiting include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Because this is the second time this week we need to take this a little more seriously and look for an underlying cause.

Rarely a parasite called a stomach worm (Physaloptera) can lead to intermittent vomiting. These are difficult to diagnose because they rarely shed eggs, so we can try simply worming her with a gentle wormer called Pyrantel and see if that helps. This is easy to do and inexpensive so well worth trying once we get this episode of vomiting under control.

Some dogs seem to vomit more on an empty stomach so feeding her small meals several times a day, and maybe a snack before bedtime, may be very helpful.

It may also be helpful to put her on an acid reducing medication as too much stomach acid, especially on an empty stomach, is very irritating and predisposes to vomiting.

I recommend giving her a dose before bed so that it is in her system in the morning. You can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are both acid reducers and should help her feel better. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.

You might also consider feeding a low residue, low irritant easy to digest food. Both Science Diet and Royal Canin make sensitive stomach formulas.

If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly or if she refuses to eat she should see a veterinarian for an examination, and some diagnostic testing. I would start with a complete blood count and biochemistry profile, a specific test for pancreatitis called canine specific pancreatic lipase, as well as fecal checks for parasites. She may also need an abdominal ultrasound to look into this further.

Please let me know if you have other details or a particular question based upon my response.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****