Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 2 month old poodle mix and shes been very sad

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2 month old poodle mix and shes been very sad looking the last couple of days, she doesnt want to eat puppy food. However, she did drink a little bit of water and milk from her mother. She thre up this morning, white foam and she has a little bit of a bloody stool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Brownie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brownie?
Customer: She was active till two days ago
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this......you need to find an ER vet today. Your vet by law is supposed to provide information for you on his/her phone line at the clinic that tells you where you can go in case of an emergency. This is an emergency...... your puppy is hosing the most common signs of Parvo virus or severe parasites both of which will kill without proper treatment. You can give your puppy 5-10 drops of pedialyte every 10 minutes to help with hydration but if she has Parvo nothing you can do at home is going to help her. She needs immediate evaluation by a doctor.

I hope this helps you but let me know if you need additional assistance. I can also help you find an ER if you need help with that. Sincerely, DRB

Please rate my answer as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up questions! Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance as I check my computer every night. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasnt been around any other animals, how would she get parvo? A couple of days ago they went on a toilet paper eating rampage and since then shes been like that, she is responsive and is drinking liquids at least
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Parvo has to incubate at least 2 weeks so if yoiu have not had her that long she could have it. Also if not parvo then could be coccidia or other parasites which can make them very sick and she could have had that since coming from the breeder.

But any puppy with bloody diarrhea and vomiting has to be assumed to be parvo until proven otherwise....she needs to have a CBC, parvo test, giardia test and fecal test and physical exam.

Also puppies that do not eat can become hypoglycemic and decompensate very quickly.

I have given you my professional opinion of 25 years of practice. You don't have to follow my advice but I am giving you the best medical advice available.

It is unlikley that the toilet paper has anything to do with this unless she ate something else.

I hope this helps but let me know if you need any further help as I will be glad to help you. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B