Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 90lb weimarner got into some bubble yum sugarless gum

Customer Question

My 90lb weimarner got into some bubble yum sugarless gum (maybe 6 pieces). He threw up and won't eat due to his tummy bbeing upset. He seems a tad bit lethargic but that's it. Went on bubble yum website and for ingredients listed it does have xylitol (sp?) his throw up has just been white foamy stuff.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is very toxic to dogs and the treatment is inducing vomiting and gastric lavage by your vet within a 2 hr window. It only takes a small amount that will cause serious hypoglycemia so it is important, even though Bull is 90 pounds, to take him to the ER vet this morning because this is SO TOXIC. This LINK will explain in more detail. Since this can cause death, be proactive and take your Bull to the ER vet just to be safe even though he has vomited.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.
Hi Sheila,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bull. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta