Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

My 5 lb 5 year old needs dental work she had major

Customer Question

my 5 lb 5 year old needs dental work she had major operations last oct is it safe for her to have the work done now or should i wait 1 year she is a rescue and i am not sure of her actual age and are there long term effect from the operations
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but I hope that this format will be acceptable to you. If not, please let me know and I'll opt out of the questions so that other experts might be able to speak directly with you.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

But if this is acceptable, I'll respond:

I can understand why you might be concerned about two procedures within this time frame but if she's otherwise healthy and blood work (which I'd suggest) is normal, then there shouldn't be any problems for her if a dental is scheduled within the near future.

I personally wouldn't wait another year since periodontal disease or significant bacteria in the mouth can spread in the bloodstream to other organs such as the heart and kidneys and potentially cause significant issues.

Anesthetic protocols and monitoring of our patients has improved significantly from years ago which make procedures much safer than they used to be.

I wouldn't expect any long term negative consequences from a dental procedure; in fact, just the opposite as I mentioned above. A healthy mouth can be important in maintaining the overall health of a dog (or cat or human for that matter).

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb