Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 3 year old shi tzu has been vomiting bubbles and aweek.

Customer Question

Hi pearl, I am Stephanie. My 3 year old shi tzu has been vomiting white bubbles and slime for almost aweek. He is eating drinking peeing and pooping all as usual. I am not sure what to do. His vet appointment is thursday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't think so but I am not positive. He has a partner in crime who helps him get the garbage tipped.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Einstein
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Einstein?
Customer: He is also service.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is Einstein able to keep food and water down?

Is he vomiting at certain times of the day?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any chance he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)? Any bin raiding with his partner in crime since these signs started?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Food and water have stayed the same along with pooping and peeing. No specific time I have notice. Well maybe am and pm. Gums r pink. I just checked. Belly has been good also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bins r raided often. He does like old panties and got hold of one of my pads.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of which he has done before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello??
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience,

Goodness, he is a mischief maker!

Though if he has a comfortable belly, good gum color, is passing stool and keeping food down; we'd be less worried about foreign bodies here. Instead, I would be wary that we have a low grade nausea. This could be due to throat stomach irritation from something he ate, something sitting in the stomach, or a brewing GI infection, pancreatitis (if he ate anything fatty), or a general dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, until he does see his vet this week, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Otherwise, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, since Einstein's signs are mild, we may be seeing a dietary indiscretion or upper GI irritation from something he has had. Therefore, at this point, we'd want to start supportive care for him and a soft, light diet. If he settles, we are happy. Though if his signs linger, then we'd want his vet to check him over on Thursday to make sure there is nothing lurking in his stomach +/- treat for any infection to get this settled for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for ur help. The food they eat is bil jac and I have not changed it. I will start the soft diet today. Goodness is my akita going to like getting to the soft diet. Lol He has no medical issues that I know of. I have Prevacid so I will add that also.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a good plan of action. Though if you use Prevacid, he only needs 5mg per kilogram once daily.

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pepcid not prevacid. Sorry
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No worries,

I just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page, since doses vary even in our dog safe options. So, if it is Pepcid, then we'd stick to 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would imodiun help??
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

No, we'd not use Imodium for vomiting and we don't tend to use it for small dogs since it has a narrow safety spectrum in this species.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...thank you so very much. We all thank u.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

All the best to you all,

Dr. B.