How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr B Your Own Question
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1073
Experience:  DVM
27344366
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an 8 month old, 84 lb puppy, 8lb weight loss, N/V

Customer Question

I have an 8 month old, 84 lb puppy, 8lb weight loss, N/V intermittently x4 days, no appetite, docile but not lethargic, no vomiting today, semi soft BM within 24 hrs. Possible excessive vitamin and jerky ingestion, ingestion of toy parts not uncommon as he is a puppy. X-ray reports foreign body in the stomach thought to be a soft rope-like, 1 inch material with rad reporting abnormal and plicated portion of small intestines. Agreed treatment plan was initial X-rays, suggested 6 hrs of fluids, then another set of X-rays. Is this enough time to make a difinitive dx? Would immediate surgery be your recommendation or rehydrate for a longer period and repeat X-rays later? I am not desiring to submit my puppy to an unnecessary surgery, but I want to make a safe, educated decision. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you so very much!
Ps- I do have the initial X-rays and rad report if you'd like to view them, and I will be getting the 6 HR post rad X-rays and rad report in 1-2 hrs.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.......if your puppy has a rope foreign body in the stomach and plication of intestines he will die without surgery. We do not operate all foreign bodies but if there is plication of small intestines you have no choice. I would take your dog to a vet ER and get a second opinion on the rads.I don't mind looking at them for you but they are hard to evaluate sent through this type of format. Any foreign body with plication will not survive without surgery.

I do understand why you do not want to subject your dog to this surgery as it is dangerous but again if there is true plication you will end of with a dead puppy in a few days if you don't act on this now.

I hope this helps but let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Please rate my answer as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up questions! Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

I will back online in the am after 10 am.....if you need additional help please feel free to leave your questions here. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello, thank you for your reply. I understand what you're saying as far as if there is a true plication then he will need surgery; however, nothing on the rad report is difinitive and as for the plication it is stated by the rad as likely, not definite. At our initial vet this AM we were told that the foreign body in the stomach was an obstruction and needed scoped or sx. At the ER vet, which is where he is now, the X-ray report eluded to a possible SB plication. The ER vet said we could try 6 hrs of IVF, but when I consulted another local ER vet they said they'd do no less than 12 hrs IVF before reassessing X-rays...this is my reasoning for coming to this site for additional assistance in this matter.
Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

I completely understand and have read all that you have said as well as I have looked at all the images.

I would have abdominal ultrasound done as soon as possible. If there is additional evidence of plication or linear foreign body surgery should be considered immediately. IVF will not fix this........

If you live near a college of veterinary medicine or a specialty center I would have my puppy to them as soon as possible. If your puppy has a linear foreign body the longer you wait the worse the prognosis for recovery becomes. I just attended a surgical conference where the surgeon stated emphatically that linear foreign bodies in dogs should probably be referred to a tertiary care center for evaluation and surgery due to the complexity of how dogs do with linear foreign material.

If you want the best possible outcome you can let me know where you live and we can see if we can find a tertiary care center for you. If you want to continue with IVF that is your right and choice to do so......but I do not agree with that plan.

I have seen too many foreign bodies go badly due to waiting.......linear foreign material will saw right through your puppy's intestinal tract. This is a disaster waiting to unfold....

I am happy to help you locate a tertiary care center if you are not already at one. Please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

One additional comment: even suspected plication or suspected linear foreign body (either one of these alone without the other) mandates immediate ultrasound of abdomen and exploratory surgery.

Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 9 months ago.

Do you need additional assistance? I have given you the best possible medical advice for your puppy. Do you need help finding somewhere else to take you puppy? Let me know. Sincerely, DRB