Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My sons dog was laying down all the sudden tried to get up

Customer Question

My sons dog was laying down all the sudden tried to get up and couldn't walk and was unstable and fell to the floor shaking. It didn't look like a human seizure but I never saw a dog seizure ... But he was on his side shaking stiff his heras tilled back eyes wide open and pupils dilated ... Last approx 3-5 mins he occasionally tried to get up.. He's 5 yrs old and a black lab all shots up to date. Should he be taken to emergency care? He are and drank approx 5 mins after the episode. Is acting fine now. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Cheech had this event. It does sound like a seizure and the fact it lasted as long as it did is a concern. CLICK HERE for more information on seizures in dogs

I would keep him in a low lit room with little sound tonight and if it recurs then definitely consider a veterinary er tonight to run some bloodwork and ensure there is no metabolic cause for the seizure. Even for piece of mind having a veterinarian evaluate him and ensure there is nothing that needs to be done because dogs can have what are called cluster seizures or many seizures over a short period of time and if that is the case please get him in asap.

I know it isn't something you want to think about but if it does happen again please consider videotaping the event for your vet or the er to review. Knowing exactly how long it lasted, the severity (a head twitch versus being on their side and losing urine and bowel control), and how long it took to return to normal are all critical in determining how best to help Cheech

I hope this information was helpful and it would be absolutely normal to want to have him seen sooner rather than later to ensure this is not going to repeat but if you elect not to do so please keep him with as little stimulation tonight as you are able.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 30 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I hope Cheech's remaining evening was uneventful...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I will be offline for a bit but will return to see if you have responded in any way...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!