Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our yorkie got bit on s back by a dog we were pet sitting

Customer Question

Hello, our yorkie got bit on his back by a dog we were pet sitting last week. It happened 3 days ago. I took him to the 24hr vet er and they gave antibiotics and pain med. He's finally letting us pick him up, but every now and then his head is tilted and he definitely won't bear weight on front right leg. Walks crooked, seems off balance! Scoots himself backwards.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry that your little one was bitten but is now still painful!

It sounds like he is having an issue with his neck. When there is an impingement in the neck vertebrae these are the very symptoms a dog will show. I have a little dog that does this occasionally as well. If the impingement is more on one side of the neck than the other then the pressure will increase and cause discomfort in the leg but also cause them to tilt their head in a certain way in order to provide relief from the pressure. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

Ideal is to have your veterinarian re-evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on additional pain medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the neck to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the shoulders. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I hope your Yorkie is feeling a bit better today

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I will be offline for a bit but will return to see if you have responded in any way...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!