Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dogs back right foot. The pad seems to be inflamed and

Customer Question

My dogs back right foot. The pad seems to be inflamed and she don't want to put any weight on it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She hasn't been for a walk in awhile, so we took her 3 Days in a row. The lea
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear about your dog's pad. Is it worn irregularly or a wound? It appears your response to any additional information was cut off...is there anything you would like to add? Is she licking?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a sock on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch and discomfort. May cause mild sedation

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the foot.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. I am online another 30 minutes tonight to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I will be offline for a bit but will return to see if you have responded in any way...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!