Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog collapsed early this am, 5:00 and seemed to have had

Customer Question

my dog collapsed early this am, 5:00 and seemed to have had a stroke. He fell over and peed as he was unconscious. we took him to the emergency vet and she said there was nothing to do, that he may have had a stroke or seizure. After we got him home, he began vomiting and is still omitting bile- bright yellow. We don't know what to do for him.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he collapsed once before, about 6 months ago, but recovered fairly quickly. This time, it seems m,ore serious. He's an 11 year old Airedale. He has chronic skin problems, but is in good health otherwise.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 8 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am so sorry to hear about your pet having a vascular event "stroke". These can be very debilitating for pets and lead to instability of the nervous system which can lead to nausea and vomiting for sure. I do have a couple of additional questions if you don't mind me asking.

Is he having any obvious head tilt?

Does he have a steady gait when he walks?

I am trying to see if the vomiting is related to any neurological instability from the stroke event, which is treated a bit differently than nausea from a possible internal organ malfunction.

- Dr. H