Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

My old English sheepdog has a hard time getting up. Seems

Customer Question

My old English sheepdog has a hard time getting up. Seems like it's her hind legs, although she doesn't have a problem walking or doesn't seem like she is in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Emma 8 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?
Customer: Does not get much excercise other backyard and I started walking her but she is very slow and breaths heavily
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Emma's troubles. Large breed dogs often develop issues with their hips that make it hard for them to get up, but once they are up are usually fine. The issues can range from hip dysplasia, to arthritis, to muscle weakness. With any of these there may be inflammation present that mainly affects her while she is pushing to get up. Something you can try is to start her on a glucosamine supplement. There are a variety of pet options available. Glucosamine has to build up in the system, so it will take 1-2 months to reach the full affect.

In the meantime, you can give an antiinflammatory. Aspirin works in a pinch, but it is best to get her on a safer alternative like Rimadyl, Previcox or Metacam. You can try aspirin for a few days to see if it makes any difference. The dose is 325mg per 30lb body weight, given every 12 hours, best with a meal.

Finally, exercise is good for both arthritis and muscle weakness. Walking is good, and if the antiinflammatories get her to feeling better, sit-to-stand exercises or walking on an incline will help strengthen those hind leg muscles.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thank you and good luck!