Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

One of our dogs that wasn't taking vetmedin 5 mg took the

Customer Question

One of our dogs that wasn't taking vetmedin 5 mg took the bottle of the table & ate maybe 15 tablets. Isn't acting any diff but what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxie 4 years aprox 60 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxie?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

It's important to induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) with a small poultry baster placed between Roxie's cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. 75 mg in a 27 kg (60 lb) dog = 2.8 mg/kg. This is at the very lowest range of toxic doses of this drug but can cause severe tachycardia (rapid heart rate), hypotension or hypertension.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?