Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 6yr old yorki-poo has recently started having issues with

Customer Question

my 6yr old yorki-poo has recently started having issues with his front and hind paws. I noticed it a few weeks ago and thought that maybe Inhad accidentally stepped on his paw causing him to limp with his paw held close to his body. However just yesterday we were laying down on the bed and I noticed him dragging himself to get to me. His hind and front paw had both given up and he curled them close to his body. I tried to gently straighten them out to see if it caused him pain but he didn't even react to it. After a few minutes he was back to normal
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Aside from the fact that it happens sparatically there's not much else
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

When both front and hind legs are affected as you've described (paresis/weakness or paralysis) both encephalopathy (brain disorder) and cervical (neck) myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) need to be considered. Cervical degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") is an important differential diagnosis in a 6 year old miniature breed. The most common of the encephalopathies in these miniature breeds - granulomatous meningoencephalitis/GME - is also important but seen less commonly. A Chiari-like malformation of the skull that results in intracranial overcrowding and compression of his spinal cord is another consideration. This would require MRI to identify.

His vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on your Yorki-Poo and X-rays of his cervical spine are likely to be recommended. A disk is usually addressed with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxer such as methocarbamol or diazepam.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?