Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My dog is in heat and her vulva has swoolen 3 to 4 times its

Customer Question

my dog is in heat and her vulva has swoolen 3 to 4 times its size with here spotting blood, is this normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry for your concerns about Arya, but what you have described is a typical presentation of a female dog in heat. This stage will last about 5-7 days, & she should be receptive to a male dog. 8 months is a little young ( in my opinion ) to breed, so you should take special care to protect her from this happening.

I hope this makes sense & has addressed your concerns. Pleas let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is the swelling normal?
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 8 months ago.

I am not set up to receive phone calls, but yes, swelling of the vulva is very, very normal for a dog in heat. If you prefer a phone call, I will opt out & allow another person to help.

Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 8 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I see that the other expert has opted out of the conversation because they are not set up for phone calls. I do offer phone call consultation if you still desire one for clarification on the answer to your question if needed. Let me know how you would like to proceed?

- Dr. H