Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Firstly are you a real person or a computer? 7 week old mini

Customer Question

Hello?
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Firstly are you a real person or a computer?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: 7 week old mini schnauzer. His tummy started going crazy with lots of noises. He did a little vomit nothing major then started playing with his chew toy and is now asleep but his tummy is so loud!!!
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of but he does seem to like grass
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Little Fellow
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He has only been living with us for two days
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian (and not a computer, so no worries there) and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking?

What did the vomit look like?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi and thanks for coming back to me.
His tummy has been making lots of noises for about 2 hours. I woke because he was making vomit noises but he only brought up a small amount of white stuff. Nothing major. He did retch a bit to get it up. No lip licking. His gums are pink and seem normal? He doesn't seem to have discomfort. He is sleeping now but his yummy is going crazy! I don't think he ate anything he shouldn't have. I watched him all day because I was quite worried he might do that. But he did have a big day with me with lots of new smells and new areas. He hasn't had any diarrhoea. Maybe I'm just over worried....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now increased gut noise with grass eating and an episode of vomiting all suggest that Little Fellow has a bit of mild nausea. This isn't uncommon at his age, since pups often put all sorts in their mouths and are constantly challenging their immune systems.

Therefore, since he is otherwise well, I would suggest that we just try to soothe that stomach for the moment. To do so, you can give him a low dose of an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. This should help with that gurgly gut and reduce the associated nausea for him.

As well, to counter this mild GI upset, we can also consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, Little Fellow just sounds to have some indigestion and an unsettled gut potentially due to something he came in contact with today. Still, since his signs are quite mild, we can just use the above to soothe this for him and get that stomach settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. It's 4:35am where I am and I don't have access to any of those remedies... Should I just let him be if he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome,

As long as he is resting and doesn't seem uncomfortable, then we can wait until the stores are open. Its only in cases where they have tender tummies with this that we'd need to treat more urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

**I would be very grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)