Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog drank a small amount of lighter fluid now acts kind of

Customer Question

dog drank a small amount of lighter fluid now acts kind of like he has hiccups
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he have this?

Have you used the peroxide (don't if you haven't)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we did then I read it can make it worse it has been about 30 or more minutes he is outside playing and barking at my wife
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can talk faster than type
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

I am typing my reply and will post in a moment

Dr. B.,

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Yes, its not ideal to induce vomiting since aspiration of the lighter fluid can cause serious damage to the lungs. In any case, its positive that he is well in himself just now. As well, I am glad that he only had a bit. The reason is because when they have large volumes it can burn the mouth, throat, and stomach. As well, it can also cause severe GI upset with vomiting and again aspiration risks....

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think he is better he is running and playing and barking he has quit having the hiccup like symptom
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

That said, if he had a small amount, then the risk of all that is low. And in his case, we'd want to rinse his mouth to remove any residue, start some supportive care to offset stomach upset, and monitor for the next 24 hours.

So, after you rinse his mouth with cool water, we can plan to start him on a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And we'd give a bit now to absorb that lighter fluid.
Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, the vomiting wasn't ideal but his current demeanour suggests no harm was done here. So, we'd just want to use the above and keep a close eye, but it sounds like he is in a low risk situation. And as you have seen hiccups usually are just diaphragm spasms and a mino

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

**I would be very grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)