Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog got into the trash and I think ate an old piece of

Customer Question

My dog got into the trash and I think ate an old piece of meat. I pitched a rather large hamburger when I found it was raw inside. Now Murray is vomiting. Huge chunks about 3 times the. Mucusy 2 times. He's sleeping now. Should I take him to the ER?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I don't think you need to run to an ER for a few episodes of vomiting. It sounds like the meat just upset his stomach. You could give him some Pepcid (Famotidine) to settle the stomach if needed. This is available over the counter. The dose in dogs is 0.25 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours as needed.

The most serious issue with moldy meat is mold toxicity. This can cause muscle tremors and seizures. If you see these signs, then you should absolutely go to an ER vet right away.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. He is shaking as if he's nervous then gets up and vomits. He isn't shaky all the time. Only before. I think that is nerves? Could it be muscle tremors?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

That would be nerves. Muscle tremors don't come and go. It's pretty constant tremoring.