Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My daughter adopted a puppy from a shelter & just

Customer Question

My daughter adopted a puppy from a shelter & just noticed worms in his stool. Is there anything that she can do tonight before taking him to the vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

You really don't need to do anything tonight. You're not going to get rid of all of the worms immediately no matter what you do. When you go in, they'll do a fecal exam. This will tell them if there are round worms, hook worms, whip worms, coccidia or giardia. The fecal exam helps determine what to treat with.

You could go get an over the counter dewormer tonight, but it's not necessary. If you have an appointment, just go to that and start the meds at that point. Just be aware, it will cause more worms to be expelled after the dewormer. That is expected.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sounds like a plan. I'll have her wait until the morning to see the vet. Thanks for your help....again!!! Have a great night!!!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

You're very welcome. Take care!

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Vader. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much for the follow up. He is doing better. We went to the vet and got a dose of dewormer for him. She said that they are roundworms and that he just needs to pass them now. Will his tummy be less swollen after he passes them.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

Good deal, I'm glad he's being treated. The abdominal distension should go down over the next few days.