Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Have a 15 year old dog that is running from room to room

Customer Question

Have a 15 year old dog that is running from room to room for no apparent reason, even took him out for a walk and he walked one house down and turned around to come home and wont stop prancing from room to room though his speed has gotton slower
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like something has him anxious. This could be discomfort, pain or just general anxiety/ stress. It's probably something that you're not going to pinpoint the exact cause.

If you want to give him something to take the edge off tonight, you could give some Benadryl. It's over the counter and it can be enough to mildly sedate and get these guys to calm down. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

If this does not help, then I would see a vet where they can give something for anxiety. I usually go with Trazodone, Xanax (Alprazolam) or Acepromazine.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Scamper. How is everything going?