Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I think my chocolate lab ate part of an SOS pad He is one

Customer Question

I think my chocolate lab ate part of an SOS pad He is one year old and weighs about 70 lbs. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Jeffrey.

Most larger dogs such as Labs will get away with such incidents, but I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. SOS pads are made from steel wool saturated with soap, the soap component is no problem although it may cause minor vomiting but the steel wool could be irritant to his intestinal tract or cause other intestinal tract problems.

2. Do not try to make your Lab sick to recover the pad as sharp objects such as the steel wool can cause problems in the throat tissue on the way back up.

3. Feed your dog quite a few slices of bread or some mashed potato now as this could form round and cushion the steel wool as it passes along your dog's intestinal tract, this can be very effective

4. As I said in my experience larger dogs such as your Lab will probably get away with such incidents. However be aware that though unlikely there is a potential for a problem to occur here due to damage to his intestinal tract. So monitor your dog for signs such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay.

In the meantime I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Lab's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Jeffrey,

I am just checking back in to see how your Lab is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the SOS pad ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Jeffrey,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers