Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Yesterday evening I had to run to the store. And when I got

Customer Question

Yesterday evening I had to run to the store. And when I got home, not even an hr. later, he had pooped on the floor.From then on he had to go out every hr.& a 1/2. Then through the day he seemed to not have to go out as often. Back to normal. But then about an hr ago he had diarrhea & he threw up. When looked at closer I thought there might be blood in his poop. His demeanor outside the house seems the same as always but when in the house he acts sick. I cant afford to just take him to the vet for another 500.00 bill. Iv recently become disabled and my money is next to nothing. Please , help me help my dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 8 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I understand that your pet Bruiser is having some on and off again upset GI tract symptoms, possibly inflammatory bowel disease symptoms. I can also understand your financial situation and this can make it tough to take him in to the vet's office.

I do have a few more questions before I get into recommendations for him so that I am better informed about his diet.

What does Bruiser normally eat?

Does Bruiser get any people food?

Can you describe the symptoms you are implying when you say he "acts sick"?

Thank you

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Bruiser is a very picky eater. Thanks to my significant other who started feeding him fried rice he pretty much only eats human food. Iv tried every kind of dog food but he wont touch them. I keep his dish full of Iams in case he will eat it.
What I mean by acting sick in the house is... he'll just goes & lays down. He always needs to be next to me with my hand on him & he'll just lay his head down with a sigh. Like a child. Seems depressed or slow .

Ok thanks for the additional information. I am concerned about Bruiser especially if he is acting lethargic. And having people food in his diet puts him at high risk for a condition called pancreatitis (inflamed pancreas), which often will require antibiotics and other supportive treatments to help get his pancreas back to normal. Worst case scenario he has pancreatitis and will need to see a vet for further care, testing and treatment. Best case scenario he just has hemorrhagic gastroenteritis causing mild illness, but still often-times pets still require antibiotics to get over this type of illness too.

Is he having any vomiting?

Does he seem painful in his belly when you press there on both sides and underneath?

- DR. H

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He vomited once in the car . But nothing before or after that. As for being in pain in his belly I honestly couldn't tell you. Hes never winced when Iv touched him. If that helps you at all.

The vomiting event in the car could have been a car sickness so I would ignore that for now unless it continues to occur.

I would recommend the following conservative treatments to see if we can get him feeling any better:

1) Famotidine- (if he is not on any other medications currently he can try this) -0.5-1mg/kg every 12 hrs (1kg=2.2lbs to help you convert his dosage)

2) Bland diet of plain boiled chicken and rice or cottage cheese OR you can try Purina EN Gastrointestinal canned food over the counter at any major pet supply store

3) Culturelle- this will help increase the good bacterial flora in the GI tract

4) Pedialyte- for support of his hydration that he is losing through the diarrhea episodes

I would try these for the next 24-48 hrs to see if he has any improvement. It is imperative that you try to get him on either a regular dog food or a diet that is not harmful to his system. Because he probably won't eat dog food at this point I encourage you to utilize one of these websites on instructions on how to feed your pet a balanced diet that is not going to be harmful to his system

https://secure.balanceit.com/

https://www.petdiets.com/

- DR. H

I also have some financial assistance websites you can utilize if you still need to take Bruiser in to see your vet if the conservative treatments don't work and they are:

www.youcaring.com

GiveForward

God's Creatures Ministry

Harley’s Hope Foundation

Some groups help with specific disease, such as Canine Cancer Awareness, The Magic Bullet Fund, Helping Harley Fund, and Muffin Diabetes Fund.
The Pet Fund and Redrover.org are great sources for help to care for your pet

Is there anything else I can assist you and your pet with today?

If not I would ask that you please provide me a rating by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button at the top of the page. This is the only way I am credited with taking the time to assist you and your pet today. Thanks and I sure hope that Bruiser starts to feel better soon!

Best wishes!

- Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bruiser. How is everything going?
Drhollowayvet