Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My dog has been frequently peeing, drinking a lot more than

Customer Question

My dog has been frequently peeing, drinking a lot more than normal, and urinating with blood in it. We went to the vet today and the doctor tested her urine and sent it in. She put her on simplicef 100mg 1/2 tablet a day. She got her first pill this afternoon. When should the medication kick in? She is going to the bathroom every hour, and its extremely tiring.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I understand you have a pet with a UTI. For UTI's the antibiotics often will show improvement with the frequent urination 48-72 hrs after starting medication. So if you just started medical therapy today then that would mean late Sunday, early Monday to see signs of significant improvement. Hopefully also the tests come back clean and there are no other abnormalities seen in the urine that would cause her to not respond to the antibiotic treatment well.

I would also inquire with your veterinarian about potentially adding another medication to help with inflammation/pain, such as Meloxicam or Rimadyl (Carprofen), this can help ease the pain associated with the bladder filling so that she doesn't have as much discomfort. There are some pets who don't benefit at all from this medication however, so it is on an individual basis whether much improvement will be seen or not. But if this were my pet I would give it a try if she is going that frequently, and there are no contraindications for her being on the medication (i.e. severe liver or kidney disease).

Is there anything else I can help you with concerning your pet today?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are some dogs that dont benefit from what medication?She does not seem to be in any pain, as she is not whimpering or crying when she is going to the bathroom, so am not sure pain medication is needed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the vet said if the test comes back negative for UTI then we would need to look into other possibilities. She never drinks and pees the way she is, and its only been like 24 hours since ive noticed it, I was hoping it would start reducing the frequent urination 24 hours in.

The medications I listed above Rimadyl (Carprofen) or Meloxicam. In some cases they don't improve inflammation of the bladder or help with frequent urination, but they are NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory's) that are indicated for soft tissue pain/inflammation. The fact that she is going to the bathroom frequently is a direct result of her inflammed bladder, which as soon as urine enters the bladder it causes discomfort and causes the pet to want to pee immediately.

If she is showing no improvement in her frequent urination after 48-72 hrs, and even still after a week, I would suspect there is something else going on there (i.e. bladder stones and cancer of the bladder has to be considered because of her age). But you should know soon if you have to worry about these once the tests come back in.

- Dr. H

Would you like to continue the conversation or have I answered all your questions concerning your pet today?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I wish you would not have said the cancer word, as that is always my fear. Yes, the doctor said she definitely felt inflammation but I believe if she felt she was in any discomfort that she would have prescribed her something. I am just concerned this is more than a UTI, although sounds like UTI symptoms

Sorry for mentioning the cancer word. It is always a fear with older pets. But more suspicious if she doesn't improve at all within a week. You should still see some improvement within the 48-72 hr time-frame. I am sorry and do not wish to scare you but we have to always mention the worse case scenario to owners to prepare them. But at this point I have no indication that your pet has symptoms of urinary bladder cancer if that helps ease your mind a bit.

- Dr. H

Have I answered all your questions and concerns for your pet?

If so please don't forget to provide me a rating before you go, as this is how I am credited for taking the time to assist you with your pet concerns. Thanks!

If you wish to continue to conversation, feel free to respond and I will be glad to assist you further - Dr. H