Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My name is ***** ***** ,my 9 week old puppy who is a boxer

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** ,my 9 week old puppy who is a boxer and weighs 10 pounds licked some comet off the top of the can she didn't get much just one lick before I caught her and stopped her ,what should I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is having no issues right now playing fine , but this only happened about 10 min ago
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess.I am sorry to hear about your puppy! Hopefully since it sounds like a very small amount that was ingested she won't experience any problems, but comet usually does contain bleach or bleach like products which can cause irritation of the mouth, esophagus, and stomach lining. The most common symptom we see is vomiting and drooling. If she does begin vomiting, then I would recommend seeking veterinary care, as she will need a prescription for medication to treat the ulcerations in her stomach. Right now, I would take a wash rash and wipe out her tongue and mouth if she will allow you, to try to remove any of the material that may still be in her mouth. I would then give her milk if you have it, if not then water, orally several times in the next few hours.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

You can also try flushing his mouth with water or milk if you have a syringe or turkey baster. Try initially to keep his face pointed down because we want to avoid him swallowing any of the material that may still be in his mouth.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your questions. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay