Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a six month old puppy with an extensive hx of

Customer Question

I have a six month old puppy with an extensive hx of diarrhea. Today when she urinated, her urine was pink. Both dogs had a half a cooked beet at lunch time. I, of course, jumped to the conclusion she has a uti. She weighs 37 pounds. The other dog is a 12 year old, 67 lb Weim. There was no staining in his urine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's on a probiotic for the intestinal issues and has had a normal stool for about two weeks. The only change to her diet was the addition on fresh beets, half yesterday and half today in a cup and a third of no grain kibble.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he urinating more frequently?

2- Any other symptoms besides the pink urine color?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No and no

Friend, as you may already know beets can sometimes change the color of urine to pink. So, it is very likely that the color change is due to the beets. I would recommend you do not give any beets for the next 24 hours. If the pink color does not go away then she could have a urinary tract infection. For now just observe her.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!