Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 11 month old great dane, who has issues w/ allergies

Customer Question

My 11 month old great dane, who has issues w/ allergies recently, just developed a large (about the size of a nickel) round hard growth on the outside of his upper lip. Its purplish in color, and the middle of it is open and oozy (but not profusely). Doesnt seem to bother him, he doesnt lick it or react when I touch it, but it looks terrible
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Wrigley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wrigley?
Customer: Well one of his eyes has an "everted" lower eyelid, we are probably going to have that cauterized soon, Im getting a second opinion. And just the allergy stuff. I feed a very high quality diet, turkey and duck grain free kibble mixed with veggies and dehydrated raw food
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Is it possible for you to take a picture of this mass and post or attach it to you next message?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im sending you pics of the mass on his lip as well as his eye. I took him to a dog opthamalogist and he says the inflamed eye is allergies, but its popped up like that due to the "everted eyelid". He did not have the mass on his lip at that time.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the pictures. Sometimes those masses can come about from chronic irritation from the K9 tooth, but that is usually if the tooth protrudes outside the lip. Normally we will see them on the lower lip. That type of wound can also occur due to other sources of trauma, such as a bite wound or foreign body, potential virus, fungal infections and cancer. Given his age, it most likely isn't cancer, but it can be a more severe lesion from a papilloma virus. My first thought is that it is a histiocytoma, which is a benign inflammatory lesion that young dogs often get. They usually regress on their own, but can get very inflamed, bleed or get infected. Treating it conservatively, I would have your vet put him on antibiotics, but I would really want to aspirate that mass to evaluate the cells. That should get a good idea what it is and rule out potential cancer. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.