Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog is a 3 year old rescue dog. He has a pus discharge on

Customer Question

My dog is a 3 year old rescue dog. He has a pus discharge on the tip of of his penis and it's really red. He also lifts up his left hind leg as if it hurts and he is warm in the penis and left leg area and his leg trembles. His penis seams to be a bit swollen towards the end. But apart from that he seams to be fine. He's eating and drinking well. Going to the bathroom well, his urine is a dark yellow, but it has been like that always. He is not lethargic at all, and the leg issue seams to come and go cause when he plays with my other dog he looks perfectly fine. What could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr.Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! It sounds like he could be suffering from what we call balanopsthitis which is inflammation of the penis and prepuce (the skin covering the penis). This can be caused by trauma, infection, or foreign bodies like pieces of grass or sticks causing irritation. Here is an article on this problem: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/balanoposthitis-in-dogs

I would recommend making an appointment with your vet for them to fully examine his penis (it can be difficult for an owner to retract the prepuce fully and expose hte entire penis for inspection without prior experience doing this) and prescribe antibiotics if needed. It can also be a risk for development of a urinary tract infection, because bacteria in the area can ascend the urethra into the bladder. It can also become quite uncomfortable!

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your questions. Thank you and good luck!