Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog's eyelids are swollen. I noticed last night, about 10

Customer Question

My dog's eyelids are swollen. I noticed last night, about 10 hours ago, when he was rubbing his face on the carpet a lot. His right eye was starting to swell. I gve hiim some benadryl. This morning the other one is a little swollen as well, and so is parts of his face. I think maybe a bug bite? he doesn't seem to be having trouble breathing or acting lethargic. the skin is also red.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess.I am sorry to hear about your dog. Did the benadryl seem to help him? How much does he weigh and how much did you give?

This does sound as if it could be an allergic reaction to something. Sometimes benadryl alone is enough to treat this, but some dogs end up needing some steroids as well. The safest thing to do in these cases is to visit your vet. If the reaction worsens, it can become life threatening. If the swelling increases,he develops hives elsewhere on his body, he is vomiting or lethargic, or ANY difficulty breathing develops, then I would recommend taking him in to the vet immediately.

Here is an article with info on benadryl and dosing: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl