Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate a package of roach motels will she be okay?

Customer Question

My dog ate a package of roach motels will she be okay ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What was the active ingredient?

Did she eat the packaging too? Or just the bait inside?

How long ago?

How much does Emma weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She weights maybe 60 pounds I'm not sure how long ago and the package is combat defense system and no she didn't eat the plastic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's hydramethyloon
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Good, I am so glad to hear that she didn't eat the plastic, since often that is the biggest concern due to blockage risks. Now I have just been checking the ingredients for this brand and I am seeing Fipronil. Can you confirm if you are seeing that other one on the label?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ripped the package I can't find it but I know it's combat defense system small roach
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

Now if it is Fipronil, this is the same drug in Frontline spot on treatment that we use in dogs. Therefore, its not an outright poison and the amount in these baits tends to be so small (since they are meant for much smaller insects then dogs Emma's size) that we'd only expect GI upset if anything at all. That said, if it is Hydramethylnon this isn't something we use on dogs but for her size she would have had to eat 1.8kg of the chemical to cause vomiting and GI upset.

Therefore, if she had eaten this in the past 2 hours, we could induce vomiting (which I am happy to discuss), we'd lean away from this in her case. Instead, if we wanted to err on the side of caution, we could treat her with activated charcoal. But otherwise, we can just monitor her and treat any upset if seen.

In regards ***** ***** charcoal use, this is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce any risk here.

Otherwise, we'd just want to keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours. While doing so, we can address any potential GI upset by offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, I have checked both drugs for you since you noted the Hydramethylnon. The Fipronil is no worry at all and the Hydramethylnon is requires such a high dose in a dog her size that we'd only expect GI upset if anything at all. Therefore, we can both breathe a sigh of relief and use the above for the next 24 hours to offset any upset for Emma.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ilynn Aragon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Emma. How is everything going?
nekovet