Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I think my dog may have eaten up to 10 5 mg prednisone

Customer Question

Hi. I think my dog may have eaten up to 10 5 mg prednisone pills. (I just found the container on the floor). he weighs 100 pounds. what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if May will be able to digest that. How old is May?
Customer: 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about May?
Customer: He's in good health otherwise. he's not showing any signs of distress, but i can't find the pills.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Actually a 50 mg total dose for a hundred pound dog is not that serious since the dose range for Prednisone in the dog is between 0.1 to 3 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight depending on the disease being treated. This would make a maximum safe dosage of 300 mg for your dog.

2. If May did eat ten 5 mg Prednisone tablets the only side effects you might expect to see would be increased thirst for 24 hours or { just let him drink as he wants } so it should be safe enough just to monitor him for present. The chances are he will be just fine ...

3. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers how this drug is used in dogs including dose rates etc. : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how May is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the prednisone episode ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers