Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is very sick laying around wont eat or drink throwing

Customer Question

my dog is very sick laying around wont eat or drink throwing up bile but is pooping blood real runny blood foul smelling im so scared i need some advice shes whimpering and wining
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Breed?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did she get into anything?

Friend, I am going to opt so another expert can help you if you come back. I am going offline and can not wait any longer, sorry.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is her feces more than 50% blood?

What color are her gums?

How often is she vomiting?

If you press into her abdomen from both sides, is she painful or uncomfortable?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

If your dog is very young or an older but unvaccinated dog, canine parvovirus becomes the most important differential diagnosis for the symptoms you mentioned. I hope that you've already had her attended to by a vet who should hospitalize such a critically ill dog and treat with a combination of intravenous fluids, antiemetic, antacid, and antibiotic therapy. There are too many other differential diagnoses for such symptoms to list in this venue but the take home message is that whatever the etiology of her illness, you can't manage her effectively at home. Please give me an update on her and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.