Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog ate a bag of candy including chocolate with all the

Customer Question

My dog ate a bag of candy including chocolate with all the wrappers. She is breathing fast. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Depending on the amount of chocolate, her weight, what type of chocolate, and whether they were "sugar free" this can potentially be an emergency so please induce vomiting if this occurred within the last hour.

If you have an approximation of the amount of chocolate (milk, dark, filled), type and her weight then please let me know so I can assess the level of concern but inducing vomiting is definitely the first recommendation...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What if she ate it about 2 hours ago? Should I still smoke her vomit?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I mean make her vomit

There is a possibility some of it is still in her stomach and I would consider inducing vomiting but if she ate an entire bag then I would also consider a veterinary er because chocolate toxicity can be serious and she should have medical attention tonight

Does this make sense? I am concerned with a dog this size ingesting a bag of chocolate including wrappers...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 20 minutes tonight

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your Maggie to see how she was doing after we spoke yesterday? I would love an update when you area able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.
Hi Tani,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman