Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Lucy received some shots today and has Benin sitting on my

Customer Question

Lucy received some shots today and has Benin sitting on my lap all day, she's usually pretty active, and follows me everywhere...but today has not moved from my chair/ my side. She's shaking a little and seems slightly warm. Should I be overly concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No, she's otherwise healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Lucy is experiencing the same type of delayed hypersensitivity reaction from a vaccine that we might. This isn't the dangerous anaphylaxis in which blood pressure plummets and my patient may collapse. Instead, it's expected to remiss unaided within 36 hours. An over the counter antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 1-2 mg/lb (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) may afford Lucy comfort. A glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone will work even better when dosed at 0.5 mg/lb once.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.