Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He is stumbling around. He also keeps spazzing out. Chasing

Customer Question

He is stumbling around . He also keeps spazzing out. Chasing his tail and sprinting circles around the yard.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He is a golden retriever about a year and a half old
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: No wounds anywhere
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Riley
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is now laying down. He doesnt want to eat or drink much in the last hour. He can get up and walks around when he hears something like normal he is just wobbly
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Has Riley remained quiet? His behavior suggests the ingestion of a prescription or recreational drug, a stimulant rodenticide (bromethalin) or snail bait (metaldehyde) or, most likely, a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is defined as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body which may be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, e.g) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is now sleeping. Still a bit wobbly when he wakes up. He acts crazy like that often enough. He seems like he is lethargic now.

Sleep is the most common of the post-ictal (post-seizure) signs. When he acted crazy like that before did he also stumble around and stay wobbly for a while?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he would run circles then be wobbly still for a bit.

Idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy is most often diagnosed in these cases. Mark your calendar for these events and make a note of just what you witnessed. Riley's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if anticonvulsant medication is necessary. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) seizure monthly before prescribing an anticonvulsant such as phenobarbital, levetiracetam, or zonisamide.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.