Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 5 year old German Shepard. we have gone two vets

Customer Question

i have a 5 year old German Shepard. we have gone two vets and have found no releif yet. starting in January we had the yearly vaccine shots done. a week later hisw right leg started to swell up lose of appetite, lack of energy and drooling/grinding teeth. we took him back to the first vet and they said that it was a reaction from the vaccine. prescribed prednizone, amoxicillin and benedryl. the swelling went down and the activity level was back up as well as appetite but the drooling/grinding teeth did not stop. the first vet said to give him pepcid for possble bad belly. within the last couple of weeks we went to vet 2 for second opinion because the swelling is back up on the front right leg and both of the back and it is mostly at the joints. both doctors had taken blood test and said thatm the blood looks good. the vet 2 said that he was going to treat him for lupus and put him on lassixs, (9pills a day), niacinamide (every 12 hours) and minocycline (every 12 hours). he hides in the bedroom away from people, no appetite, drinks a lot of water recently started to have the chills and a fever, when he does eat he holds the item in this mouth and looks like he is having a hard time swollowing. could you tell me what it looks like to you with the information given
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

Hi this is dRB and I would be happy to help you with this......I am sorry that you are having all this trouble.....so there are several types of things that need to be ruled out.......infectious diseases, inflammatory diseases....let me list some of the rule outs for you so that you can talk with your vet: Infectious diseases that could cause these symptoms are as follows: lyme disease, anaplasmosis, ehrlichiosis, chronic RMSF, bartonellosis,leishmania,and babesiosis. (And there are other possible infectious diseases as well but these are the big ones)

Then we have to rule out inflammatory diseases which include different forms of cancer and also various autoimmune diseases.........lupus is certainly oneof the autoimmune diseases which need to be tested for.

So, you need the following testing: CBC, chem panel, lyte panel,4dx, urinalysis,Tick panel serology and PCR ,ANA test, chest radiographs, abdominal ultrasound.

I hope this helps you but please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Please rate my answer as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up questions! Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

I will check back with you tomorrow night to see if you need additional help or have other questions....Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jody,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Griz. How is everything going?
Dr B