Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

I think my dog may have been poisened and he passed away.

Customer Question

I think my dog may have been poisened and he passed away. There was vomit, urine and feeces around him, which is why I think he may have been poisoned. I found foot outside, which is unusual in my yard. I have a piece of it, and I'm wondering if there is some place I can take it to have it tested for poison in the Scottsdale, AZ area.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 9 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear about your pet passing away and especially from a possible poisoning. To answer your question any veterinarian will be able to have your pet emitted for a necropsy (examination of the body post-mortem). I would recommend this as there are not many toxicology screenings available to dogs. However there should be enough evidence in the necropsy to suggest toxicity if there was one.

Vomiting urination and feces are signs of a potential seizure event. This can also be caused by certain toxins, so yes it is a possibility at this point, especially if your pet had no history of seizures.

Again I send my deepest condolences to you during this time of hardship from the loss of your pet.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
During his life, there were times that he would throw up and I would see evidence of blood in the vomit. I took him to the vet routinely, and there was never an answer for this, while he had many exams in 6 years. He seemed very healthy otherwise.

Hmm. With a history of vomiting with blood I would suspect a possible GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), especially if the vomiting tended to occur in the morning or late evening hours. Typically I recommend antacids to treat this. However I have no reason to believe that had anything to do with his sudden death. This sounds like a possible seizure or choking event that occurred. There are so many poisons out there are they all can cause different symptoms ranging from internal bleeding (rat poison) to seizures (medications), etc. A necropsy would be able to examine the stomach and intestinal contents for evidence and if anything suspicious is found it can be further analyzed.

So unfortunate for this to happen all of a sudden.

If you would like to continue the conversation please do so at this time.

- Dr. H

If you are satisfied with the service I have provided, would be so kind as to proceed to give me a rating so that I may receive credit for the time it took to chat with you today, I would really appreciate it.

If you have any further questions/concerns you can always come back to the chat session and speak with me directly. Thank you

Best regards,

– Dr. H