Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 2.5 year old schichon who has been on a raw diet

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** I have a 2.5 year old schichon who has been on a raw diet since we brought her home. ( ex sister in law is vet ( holistic) ) developed Crystals last summer when I brough my daughter to college, I attributed to stress of her leaving home??? my vet wanted her to come off the raw but everything I read says that its the way to go, I put her on cranberry relief (naturvet ith echinacea)and lowered her ph to 6.5 but that was over a month ago and I thought id check to see where shes at now and it's 7.5, wondering whats the best approach, to lowering her ph and should i get her on the urinanry food she was on last summer??/ Thank you so much!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Crystalluria - the presence of crystals in urine - simply means that the urine specimen is oversaturated with crystallogenic substances; however, numerous variables influence crystalluria. The significance of crystalluria is easily misjudged if these factors are not considered. In vivo (within the body) variables include urine concentration, urine pH, amount and solubility of crystalloids, presence of crystallization promoters and inhibitors, and excretion of medications or diagnostic agents. In vitro (outside the body) variables include temperature, evaporation, pH, and technique of specimen preparation. It is important to note that refrigeration of urine samples leads to precipitation of crystal, a falsely positive result.

What does all this mean? It means that the presence of crystals in urine is usually clinically insignificant. Specific crystals, however, such as ammonium biurate crystals, can indicate hepatic insufficiency. Crystalluria can often cause concerns about urolithiasis (stones) but crystalluria must not be the sole criterion for assessment of stone composition nor do animals with crystalluria necessarily form stones.

In summary, the presence of crystals is usually normal. The above said, I need to know which type of crystals were found in your 2.5 year old and if she were symptomatic of a urinary disorder at the time crystals were found. Please note that altering the pH may be necessary when addressing calculi (stones) which essentially are crystals that have come out of solution but otherwise we're more interested in diluting the urine which then doesn't allow oversaturation of the crystals which then might allow precipitation of stones. In addition, unless multiple readings over many days reveal a persistently low or high pH of the urine, we can't be sure that any one pH finding indicates the true acid/base state of a patient's urine. The pH of urine can change from 6.5 to 7.5 many times throughout a 24 hour period depending upon diet and other metabolic processes ongoing.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?