Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a dog with chronic diarrhea and slight anemia. She

Customer Question

I have a dog with chronic diarrhea and slight anemia. She also has Cushing's. I took her into the vet today for bloodwork and the ACTH stim test. Her BUN came back at 62. Her creatinine levels are normal. The vet wants to put her on IV fluids for 24 hours to try and get the BUN down. She is a senior cockapoo, about 13 pounds. She's a rescue so I don't have an exact age.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's been on and off antibiotics 3 times now. Each time the diarrhea clears up, but within 3-4 days of finishing it comes right back. She was originally on it for the diarrhea and was treated for hookworms.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 8 months ago.

Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and your dog. Is your concern mainly about the IV fluids, or the diarrhoea, or do you want information about everything?

If you could let me know about any other blood work or tests that have been done on her, any medication she's on, and if you know it, the sort of antibiotics she was on that would be great. Any information about her diet and if she scavenges would also be useful, if ok. Thank you, Rosie.

I have to go to clinic to check on a dog so will log out, but will check on this when I get back - I haven't abandoned you!