Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is very lethargic, very clingy, and is pacing

Customer Question

My dog is very lethargic, very clingy, and is pacing constantly. Occasionally he will yelp even tho nothing is near him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also seems to have a tough time sleeping. His eyes look as though he is very tired . he also seems to have allergies of some kind because his eyes have had the booger substance since this started.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Can you find anywhere on his body that seems sore?

If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals,etc)?

Any changes to his appetite, breathing, stools, or any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't seem to have any sore spots, gums look normal, he has had these signs for about 3 days. He hasn't been throwing up and from what stool I could see looked fine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

The reason for my range of questions about Jax is because the pacing, clinging, lack of sleep and general lethargy; do raise non-specific concerns of discomfort. As well, the occasional yelp does make me concerned about an ongoing issue causing intermittent pain. Now he is giving you little to go on and the eye discharge is just a mild infection secondary to something underlying. Still, the kinds of issues that would manifest this way include foreign bodies (if there is something causing a partial or intermittent obstruction in the stomach or intestines), a pinched nerve, or neck pain (which we can see with injury but also in causes of meningitis).

Therefore, if this has been going on for 3 days and especially with the pain signs, I would strongly advise a check up at this point. His vet can check for the above concerns and get him onto a dog safe pain relief option. If this is just a pinched nerve or even a strain, that will likely be all he needs. But if those other 2 are found, then we'd want his vet to address those urgently to get it settled for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**I would be very grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)