Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had puppies 6 week ago she was eating and using

Customer Question

My dog had puppies 6 week ago she was eating and using bathroom fine now she's trying nothing comes out she licks her behind she won't eat or drink hardly anything thinking I love her so much I am out of work on disability don't have them money to take her to the vet can someone help me or let me make payment
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Do you mean she is struggling to pass urine or feces?

How long has she had these signs?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Feces and i noticed about 3Day's ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

First, if it has been three days since she has passed stool and she isn't eating, then we need to tread with care.

Now since you noted her trying to go, we would assume we have constipation here (instead of a lack of feces due to a lack of feed intake). Therefore, there are a few steps we can take to try and help get things moving. To start, we sometimes find that cow's milk can be helpful at getting things moving along. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can also be of benefit This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since we can get her eating a bit, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Next, we need to tempt her to eat for us. You can use favorites otherwise a bland diet may be an option here. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Though if she refuses these, we'd then need to syringe feed her. To do so, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned puppy food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in.

Overall, this is getting to a time frame where we'd want to consider giving her a bit of a "push" to pass feces. And this is especially the case at this point if you have seen any hint of non-productive straining. Therefore, at this point, I would advise the above supportive care to just get things moving while also getting food into her. If you do so, but don't' see feces over the course of today or more straining without feces; then we'd want to consider having a vet have a feel of her GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

Hopefully, we won't need to do that, but if we do and since funds are a concern, I do want to note that there is help out there. Do ring your local vet about payment plans and CareCredit. Or if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via:

VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer).

Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon).

Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help your lass.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

**I would be very grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)