Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I own a english dog he does not appear to be in pain but he

Customer Question

hi I own a english bull dog he does not appear to be in pain but he is 12 years old and in the last few month has stopped eating is very disoriented has a hard time with walking and looks very skinny now what can be going wrong with him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bubba. The most important clue to his disorder is his disorientation. This is a change in mentation (mental status) indicative of encephalopathy (brain disorder). Intracranial (within the skull) encephalopathies such as brain tumor is most common in a 12 year old bulldog. Extracranial (outside the skull) encephalopathies such as a poorly functioning liver intoxicating his brain need to be considered as well. You've described a critically ill dog who needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. I would expect that his vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on Bubba including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Should nothing untoward be found in such testing, MRI would be necessary to identify a brain lesion - not the kind of advanced, stressful, and costly diagnostic I would recommend at Bubba's age.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish. I have to leave my computer for the night but promise to reply in the morning if need be.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubba. How is everything going?