Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

My dog seems to have eaten a box of Gummed Linen nging Tape.

Customer Question

My dog seems to have eaten a box of Gummed Linen Hinging Tape. I just got home and she seems ok. But should I be worried? The package says High thread count cotton Adhesive is acid free pure carbohydrate and protein. That's all it says about ingredients.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Eloise but happy to reassure you that this particular product isn't there's no concern on that score.

Depending on how much she ate, she might develop diarrhea in 12-24 hours which a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice should resolve.

Again, depending on how much she ingested, an obstruction might develop although I think it not very likely given her size. Dogs eat inappropriate things all the time and in the majority of cases, no adverse consequences are seen. However, signs to monitor which might indicate that this material has formed an obstruction would be vomiting, lethargy, disinterest in food or abdominal pain.

These signs might not be seen for a few days if the material remains in her stomach before moving into her intestines so, unfortunately, I can't give you an exact time line as to when she's in the clear...unless you spot the material in her stool, that is.

More than likely, she'll be just fine but at least you'll know what to look for.

I hope this helps to reassure you about her. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Eloise. I assume that she's doing just fine but just wanted to double check. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.
Hi Alyssa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Eloise. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb