Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog has lost about a 5cm patch of hair on s tail it is

Customer Question

my dog has lost about a 5cm patch of hair on his tail it is was red and inflamed but has calmed down now. i know he is a licker but I have never seen him bite or lick his tail before. We did take him to a new pet store to be washed could he have caught something? As he also got a pimple on the top of his head the same day it has healed fine but the tail just does not want to heal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Powder. Can you take a picture of it and post it here with the paper clip icon?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just send through in a moment
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
please see attached image

I tried to open the image and something just didn't work. Can you try it again?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry try this one

That one came through! How long has that area been present on the tail? Did it start small and then spread?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it was that exact size when I noticed it so had not appeared to have spread and it has been that way for about a week now

That area could be a focal area of dermatitis. Sometimes they can get a bacterial infection on the skin (it starts up due to a small injury to the spot sometimes) and it just sets up a moist dermatitis. When it gets fired up, if they lick it or bother it, it can just stay persistent. If the infection involves the hair follicles, it can cause the hair to not grow back in well. Could there be underlying hormonal issues that slow the hair growth? That is a consideration. If he was at my ER clinic, a course of antibiotics, cleaning that area daily and him wearing an E-collar would be most likely the starting point to see how this area responds.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok well at the moment it is not getting worse and he can not reach that far to get to his tail i just checked he is a bit arthritic I has been washing it with saline it seems clean and not progressing I will keep and eye on if it gets worse I will take hime to our normal vetthanks

I'm sorry for my delay getting back to you as I got pulled away. If it's not getting worse and it isn't bothering him, you could give it some time to see if keeping it clean and dry helps. I've seen some where they just don't ever really grow back their hair on the tail as the actual hair follicles get injured. I'm hoping for the best for this guy!

.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Powder. How is everything going?