Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our dog is a Yorkie about 10lbs and she got a hold of my

Customer Question

our dog is a Yorkie about 10lbs and she got a hold of my son's Amoxicillan pills 500 mg. will it hurt her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buttercup….about 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buttercup…?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many pills did she eat?

2- How long has it been since she ate the pills?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it looks like you have gone offline. I am going to opt out so another expert can help if you come back. I am going offline and can not wait any longer, sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about your 10 pound pup getting your son's 500mg Amoxicillin pill.

I would not have any concerns for her at all unless she has an allergic sensitivity to Amoxicillin, which is quite uncommon in dogs.

Even if she ingested the Amoxicillin I wouldn't be concerned. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic we use in dogs and although 500mg would be a much higher then normal dose, (a usual dose would be 50 to 100mgs) it is quite safe and the only side effects I would expect from a one time high dose would be some nausea and possibly some diarrhea.

Symptoms of an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin (again quite rare) would be facial swelling, hives, itchy skin and difficulty breathing.

I wouldn't expect any untoward effects at all from your pup just getting one pill.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.