Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 10yr old hair chihuahua. She had puppies 8 weeks

Customer Question

I have a 10yr old long hair chihuahua. She had puppies 8 weeks ago. Around the puppies 3rd week one of the two disappeared, we believe she may have eaten it. Never found it.
Yesterday she became very unstable, walking like she is on marbles, shaking like Parkinson,
but calms down quickly. I comb her today because I noticed my shirt was full of her fur. I got a large amount of fur about the size of two baseballs put together. She is a toy and weighs 5 pounds. She is drinking and using the bathroom as normal. She eats like she is starving. any ideas what I may do for her until I can see the vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me, please, if you think that she's drinking more than normal (polydipsic) and producing more urine than normal (polyuric) as well as being hungrier than normal (polyphagia)? Her eating a pup and continuing to be so hungry suggests either diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, or hyperthyroidism (rare) and all of these should also cause polydipsia and polyuria. Her behavior yesterday suggests a partial seizure which can result from advanced forms of those diseases I mentioned or, instead, be due to a brain problem such as brain tumor.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No she is drinking as she would normally. The puppy we believe she ate was very small compared to the other pup and seem to
be a little slower than the other pup. I have noticed that she stays with the remaining puppy , lays beside the cage next to it most of the time. She has been panting, I gave her potassium today as I know sometimes the potassium can drop to low when
nursing and panting becomes one of the low potassium symptoms. She seems to be doing a little better since giving her the potassium not as much shaking and seems to be moving around a little more stable. When I pick her up she makes movement of swimming like actions. She has never done this before, as she is use to be carried and held. I do have 3 Tea cups as well and they are all fine.

Thank you for the additional information. That rules out quite a few serious disorders. It sounds as if she's still vertiginous (suffering vertigo) as might be associated with seizure. Potassium isn't going to be harmful but I'd be more concerned that she had become hypoglycemic. Please add Karo syrup (or similar gluose/sucrose-containing syrup) to her therapy. Just 1 teaspoon every couple of hours should do the trick if she were hypoglycemic. Hypoglycemia is another possible reason for her polyphagia. Hypocalcemia (eclampsia) is another concern because it can cause aberrant behavior, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), muscle tremors, seizures, and/or tetany and hypoglycemia can exist concomitantly with hypocalcemia. Do you have a calcium supplement for her? If not, 1/4 of an over the counter Tums (calcium carbonate) every 8 hours would be prudent.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.